Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Riches!

Some days there is too much to paint!

I was introduced to a little piece of heaven yesterday by a new painting buddy, Terry. I couldn't understand why he was so excited about showing us this particular spot. Now I know. There wasn't a direction you could turn without there being a subject for a sweet painting. It was beautiful!

It was also mindboggling.


How to edit any part of that scenery onto my itty bitty canvas was going to prove to be a challenge. I finally focused on the biggest tree at the end of the beaver pond on which we were standing (we actually were on a very old dam that is about 15 feet wide and thirty feet long). In order to fit this view onto my canvas I had to eliminate several spruce, a lot of beaver-cut logs, some bushes, a muskrat, two ducks, a Canada goose, a raven, four beavers and, uh oh, three mosquitoes. What I'm trying to tell you is, there were a lot of distractions!







Old Man, 5x7, oil on canvas

1 comment:

boyter said...

Hi Sue. Loved it. Still have to gather Rex photos for you. He is in doggy heaven now.
Quilt plan is in my mind now. Just have to translate it.
Anita Boyter